The exit-site is the place where the PD catheter comes out of your skin.
Daily exit-site care can help avoid catheter infection.
What you need:
- Antibacterial soap
- Clean wash cloth
- Clean towel
- Gauze swab or cotton tip
- Recommended antibiotic cream
- Clean gauze dressing
- Clean disposable towel
- Face mask
Before you start:
- Gather supplies
- Wash and dry hands
- Carefully remove old dressing
- Keep catheter and transfer set taped to skin
- Notify your healthcare team if your exit-site is red, painful, swollen, or draining.
Check your exit-site and the area around it. Feel the area around the catheter and check catheter for cracks, slits or tiny holes.
- Clean gently around the exit-site with a clean wash cloth and antibacterial soap
- Start cleaning close to the exit-site and move out from the exit-site using a circular motion
- Rinse well
- Gently and thoroughly pat the exit-site dry with a clean towel or facecloth
Apply cream and secure catheter
- If your center recommends it, apply a small amount of the recommended antibiotic cream around the exit-site using a cotton swab
- Apply a clean dressing and tape securely in place
- Make sure the catheter is securely taped to your skin. Apply new tape if needed.
Always do exit-site care exactly as you have been taught every time. Repeat exit-site care if the exit-site becomes wet or dirty.